Monday 14 October 2024

Starforged - Mina the lore keeper: Session 7, The wrong place at the wrong time

The exit ramp touches down on Bulwark's sand-encrusted landing pad and I take the lead, E.R.I.C. behind me and Eveline bringing up the rear. I double and triple checked the route before leaving the ship; I've been to this trading city dozens of times but never to this particular bar. Walking out of the climate controlled ship is like walking out of a fridge and into a blast furnace. Eveline an I are both wearing desert goggles - pretty much a necessity on this world even in the cities, and the lenses almost immediately began to darken as they sense the bright afternoon sunlight.


This is a short walk across town, along a well-researched route. But I think there's an opportunity for something to happen en-route. None of the journey moves are quite right, so we'll face danger with wits to represent vigilance.
Face Danger + Wits (2)
[Miss: 2 + 2 + 0 = 4 vs 8 | 4]
Pay the Price: 28 - Your action causes collateral damage or has an unintended effect
Location (Inhabited) theme - Peril: Signs of unrest or rebellion
We've established that this sector is in the midst of a Civil War. I'm getting some proper Rogue One vibes from this scene, so let's roll with that.

Gather Information + Wits (2)
[Strong Hit: 3 + 2 + 0 = 5 vs 4 | 2] +  2 momentum, but we're already maxed out.

I keep an eye on the doorways and windows as we pass, and I know Eveline is watching the rooftops. At the same moment I see a hooded figure duck back into cover to avoid my glance, she sends a terse message through the comm, "Sniper rifle up high 10 o'clock. Break break break." I grab E.R.I.C. and throw myself into the nearest doorway, backing up as far as I can into cover. I don't see Eveline but I trust that she's found something solid to hide behind. I put one hand on my holstered laspistol and pause, breathing as lightly as I dare.

All is still for 10 seconds, and just as I'm beginning to wonder if we've overreacted the first explosion goes off.

The street empties as energy bolts start flying, and I catch a glimpse of Eveline sighting down her rifle from a doorway across from us. A figure stands up and lines up a grenade toss from further up the road - Eveline is focused on her target and hasn't seen it. No time for comms, I draw my pistol and fire off a flurry of lasfire in their direction hoping to distract them.

I think this probably counts as entering the fray, and since I'm getting the drop on someone we'll roll it with Shadow.
Enter the Fray + Shadow (1)
[Weak Hit: 2 + 1 + 0 = 3 vs 1 | 3]
We take control. I don't think we're the target of this ambush, so I'm going to set this as a dangerous encounter. Combat Objective will be to escape the ambush.

Strike + Edge (2)
[Strong Hit: 3 + 2 + 0 = 5 vs 1 | 3] Mark 2 progress (that's 4 boxes for a dangerous encounter)
Progress 4/10 [****______]

The grenade thrower drops their grenade and throws themself back into cover. A few seconds later there's an explosion and gunfire from that location stops. I hear a voice in my ear "they're onto you, move it" and Eveline starts laying down fire at a point a couple of dozen meters ahead of me. I see a glint from the rooftop opposite and run for the cover of a transport vehicle stopped in the middle of the street.

Gain Ground + Edge (2)
[Miss: 4 + 2 + 0 = 6 vs 6 | 6] with a match
Burn momentum (+10  reset to + 2)
[Strong Hit: 4 + 2 + 0 = 10 vs 6 | 6] with a match
Mark Progress 6/10 [******____]
+2 Momentum (+4)
Definitely worth burning momentum, and we get some back right away. Since our objective is survival, finding better cover is suitable narrative progress, and it also turns that match into a positive twist rather than negative.
Action Oracle: Release
We are next to a transport. If we were to open it, what would we let out?
Theme Oracle: Knowledge

As I skid to a halt behind the transport I hear a plink as an old fashioned slug round ricochets off the chassis of the vehicle. A bulletproof hiding place sounds good; I yank the rear door and to my surprise it opens right away. Inside I see the driver pressed against the front of the compartment where there's an access hatch from the front seats. He scrambles as he sees me standing there holding the pistol, and doesn't seem too happy when I climb inside. I point the pistol away from him and shout to be hear over the general chaos.

"I'm not going to shoot you. I landed on this planet fifteen minutes ago. What the hell is going on?"

Compel + Heart (3)
[Strong Hit: 3 + 3 + 0 = 6 vs 4 | 4] with a match
+1 momentum (5)
We'll come back to that match. For now, let's pick up the knowledge from the last match roll.

Warily looking at the pistol he shouts back "government sympathisers attacking patrols. They appear, all hell breaks loose for a few minutes and then they vanish. Military advice is to get the hell off the streets and let them handle it". I grimace, "wish I'd followed that advice." I glance up at the access hatch.

Is there some kind of bio-security lock? Seems likely.
Ask the Oracle: 85 - No

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that there doesn't seem to be a lock. "If you see an annoying golden droid out back do me a favour and haul him in will you?" I push through the hatch staying low without waiting for an answer. I climb into the driver's seat, keeping my head down, and try very hard not to think about how stupid this next move is. I risk a glance out the window to see if E.R.I.C is still where I left him.

Is E.R.I.C. still in the spot where I left him? Likely.
Ask the Oracle: 12 - Yes
Is he damaged? 50/50
Ask the Oracle: 73 - Yes
What kind of harm have they suffered?
D6 Fortune roll: 4 - Serious Harm (-2 health)
Companion takes a hit + their health (1):
[Miss: 2 + 1 + 0 = 3 vs 3 | 8] - It's worse than you thought
Either E.R.I.C loses another health point and goes down or I take -2 momentum.In this case I think I'll take a momentum penalty (3). It fits the fiction - getting a damaged E.R.I.C. into the back of the transport is going to slow me down and leave me a sitting duck for precious seconds.

E.R.I.C. is there but he's slumped in the doorway. Sparks are pouring from his hip actuators and one of his legs is lying on the floor next to him. Swearing, I slew the transport over to the building and run back through the hatch to pull him in.

Face Danger + Heart (3)
[Weak Hit: 2 + 3 + 0 = 5 vs 5 | 3] - Succeed at a cost, make a suffer move.
As much as he can be annoying, I think Mina is pretty attached to E.R.I.C. The fiction suggests they've been together for a while, and she's not a fighter so I don't think she's accustomed to seeing a companion take damage, even if it's a bot. This would be a very stressful experience.
Endure Stress: Serious Stress, -2 Spirit (3)

It looks worse up close. I lose a valuable second to despair as I pick up the severed leg and stare at it, but an explosion and a burst of charge fire bring me back to my senses and I toss the leg into the back of the transport, grabbing hold of E.R.I.C. and supporting the bot into the vehicle. "Hold on tight, we're getting out of here".

I send a comm message to Eveline asking "where are you? I'm coming to get you." The reply comes quickly interspersed by curses thrown at some unseen assailant. "I'm coming to you, cover me". Poking my head round the side of the transport, I see Eveline break cover and start to run. Two figures on the rooftop behind her notice the movement and start to raise weapons. "Oh no you don't!", before I've had time to think the laspistol is in my hand and I fire a wild burst, emptying the rest of the pistol's charge pack in the direction of the rooftop.

Our last combat action was a strong hit on Gain Ground, so we'll pick up from there and Gain Ground again, this time with Heart as we come to Eveline's aid. Mina isn't trying to hit anyone, she wants to get their heads down and stop them firing as her friend runs for cover.
Gain Ground + Heart (3)
[Weak Hit: 3 + 3 + 0 = 6 vs 10 | 1] Retain control and mark progress.
Mark Progress 8/10 [********__]

I don't think I hit anything, but the mini-fusillade does its job. The two on the rooftop duck back out of the way and Eveline throws herself into the back of the Transport and slams the door. "I'm in, get us the fuck out of here". "Way ahead of you." I throw the transport into a 180 degree turn, accelerating away down the street.

Hopefully one final Gain Ground as we high-tail it away from this ambush.
Gain Ground + Edge (2)
[Weak Hit: 1 + 2 + 0 = 3 vs 1 | 7] - Retain control and mark progress
Mark Progress 10/10 [**********]

Take Decisive Action:
[Strong Hit: Progress 10 vs 1 | 5] Take +1 Momentum (+4)
Objective achieved: Escape the ambush.

We've only been driving for a few seconds when we pass half a dozen a security quick response units heading the other way. I hit the brakes and, for a few seconds, there's silence. Then Eveline pushes her armoured form through the hatch and drops into the passenger seat. "Nice driving! No offense but I didn't know you had it in you! Your new friend doesn't seem to appreciate it quite so much." Her face is flushed, but she's grinning ear to ear. "My new friend?" I ask blankly. "The guy out back, looks like a delivery driver." I'd forgotten about him. I slip out of the chair and pause at the access hatch as I go to check on E.R.I.C and apologise to the man whose vehicle I hijacked. I look round at Eveline. "Bodyguarding seems to suit you." She swings her feet up onto the dashboard and leans back in her chair. "You're living up to your promise. Got to live up to mine."

Connection (Dangerous): Eveline Durant - Guard: 4 boxes]
 
Well that wasn't the session I expected to play, but I've got some ideas for the fallout. I never did think up a good twist for that match on the Compel roll, so we'll let that go and pick up as we finally arrive at the bar next session.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starforged - Mina the lore keeper: Session 7, The wrong place at the wrong time

The exit ramp touches down on Bulwark's sand-encrusted landing pad and I take the lead, E.R.I.C. behind me and Eveline bringing up the ...